Construction in Rabat and Sale across the river is booming
This past weekend I stayed here in Rabat and finally got around to seeing all the major tourist sites that this city has to offer that I have neglected to see. While my alias as “super tourist” or “Japanese Kelly” generally applies, as I am famous for always carting around my camera, I am also notorious for never going to see the sites in the city where I live. I have spent a year at Georgetown in DC, and have seen almost nothing. I lived in New York last summer and have visited over a dozen times, but have never seen the statue of liberty. Ah well, c’est la vie.
Friday night, my roommate and I had a romantic date for two at home watching the movie Valentine’s Day and sharing a bottle of wine. Saturday afternoon the two of us went over to Chellah, Rabat’s Roman ruins where we wandered around in the almost eerily deserted site. The ruins are cool, but not well marked and since there was hardly anyone there, let alone someone to explain what things were, we just made up our own stories, which were probably more interesting anyway. Chellah’s main residents are in fact storks- hundreds and hundreds of storks who make their bizarre and massive nests high atop trees and the walls of old ruins.
Entrance to Chellah Super Tourist strikes again!
Storks, and more storks!!
Post-Chellah we hit up Tour Hassan and the Mausoleum where we walked around and took some more photos, super-tourist style. We walked down the cornice and got some scrumptious Italian sorbetto before going to the German’s place to watch the Germany World Cup game. The German’s triumphed and we spent the next couple hours lounging and soaking up the sun on their terrace in celebration before heading over to some Spaniard’s place to watch the Spanish game. The Spanish triumphed as well and we ate tortilla and cheersed with Spanish wine to celebrate. The Spanish continued to celebrate and I ventured home to clean up before heading to an American BBQ in commemoration of the 4th of July. It was an interesting crowd to say the least, but in true American fashion, we danced to bad American pop music and karaoked to the Backstreet Boys.
CheesE!!! Gesundheit
Jen and the Tour Hassan The Mausoleum
Inside the Mausoleum
Walking down the Corniche
Leo- German Cat superstar
Hanging out in Oudaias
Leo is wasted
Sunday morning I woke up and headed to the store to pick up supplies to make breakfast for my roomie and her boyfriend who came into town. In my flurry of cooking, I banged my head on the open cupboard, which I thought resulted in a harmless, yet painful bump. Hours later I discovered that I had in fact cut my head open and when I felt it much later on, I was kind of shocked to feel it still bleeding. I am happy to report that the wound on my poor head has since scabbed over and is healing nicely.
Sunday day we spent at the beach in Oued Cherrat, which was quite windy and full of rocks in the water, but it was a beach so I was happy. After hours of soaking up the sunshine, we stopped by Marjane on the way home, a giant walmart sized mega store for some commercial delight. I stocked up on hard to find goods like pretzels and hair mousse and just walked around taking it all it. It’s a strange pleasure of mine, I love shopping in super markets in other countries. I don’t know why. I can, and often do, spend hours just walking around and looking at all the different and curious products. It may prove useful one day if I am ever on international Price is Right…
Oued Cherrat
Happy Beach Bum
Tomorrow I get the day off and then head to Chefchaouen, the blue city at the base of the Rif mountains, for another Music Festival (!). Ojos de Brujo is playing and then Sunday is World Cup finals!! Viva Espana! (now that Brasil and the US is out of course…)
No comments:
Post a Comment